September 22nd, 2011
There are two great things about fall:
1. Buying back to school shoes
2. Planning the next STARRY Nights season
For those of you who haven’t been paying attention, STARRY Nights is a house concert series produced by STAR company. It is an opportunity for emerging artists, established artists looking to present a new piece of work or explore a new discipline, or anyone looking to present their creative work in an intimate, supportive setting.
We are going into our third season and have enjoyed two years of a wide range of incredible performers…visit our facebook page for some of the pictures of past shows.
So now it’s time to put out the call and see who is interested for 2012! We are open to anything and everything, from zucchini juggling to Spanish poetry. One we receive the submissions, we will curate a series that is eclectic, interesting and engaging.
Are you interested in performing or presenting your work? Fabulous! Here are some things to know.
- STARRY Nights take place in the living/dining room of STAR Company founder Sarah Hopen’s downtown Toronto home, which can hold a maximum audience of about 25 people (depending on the space demands of the performance.) There is a small upright piano, basic lighting and lots of ambiance!
- Performances take place on a Saturday evening, between January and June (but not including February – it’s tax season you know) with doors opening at 8pm and performances starting at 8:30pm
- Half of the money from the ticket sales goes to the performer. The other half goes to covering costs (snacks, beverages, etc) with the remaining funds passed along to an arts organization of our choosing.
- STAR Company will prepare the online invitation, manage the ticket sales and host the evening. We love producing this series and try to make it as supportive, relaxing and fun for the artist as we can.
- As the performer, your commitment is to spread the word among your community and promote ticket sales. A full house is nice for performer and audience! While there will be some tickets sold through the STAR Company contact list, it’s the performer’s job to bring in the audience.
There are always more details to work out for each performance, but those are the basics.
If you are interested, please send an email by October 31st to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating
- your name
- your performance idea
- your requirements
- your preferred month of performance
And now back to shoe shopping……Tweet